Skip to main content

May 9/17 AKA two of the scariest days of my life

We had severe storms in Evansville on Friday, and our power went out, trees blew down, and traffic lights were out.  I got home from the Y at 4:30 and had panicked some because Zach texted me that Nellie was acting weird.  I hurried home and for a while she just seemed kind of subdued, but by 5:30, she was shaking uncontrollably, panting really hard, and shrieked whenever we tried to pick her up.  The All Pet Emergency Hospital opened at 6:00, and we were there waiting at the doors when it did.  Up until this part of the story, it may sound like I was calm, but I assure you, I was not.  Zach was asleep on the couch when I was trying to bring Nellie inside, and I distinctly remember crying and screaming at the top of my lungs for him.  I also bawled like a baby for some of the ride there, because we had no clue what had happened to her and I was so scared. 

So, we get to the "Pet ER" and they get us in right away.  Zach was parking the car, and all I could do was blubber and cry while holding Nellie in my arms.  (I promise I'm better in emergencies that involve anyone but my Nellie girl!)  Luckily, Zach walked in behind me, I got calmed down, and we got into a room.  The vet tech checked Nellie's vitals and told us they were good.  I was afraid that she was having trouble breathing, but she was just panting because she was in a great deal of pain.  I also want to applaud the staff at All Pet Emergency.  They were simply amazing.  Calmed me, calmed Nellie, and were just so sweet.  Dr. Walker saw Nellie after a little bit, and came in to report that she had hurt her back somehow, and that it seemed to have her in extreme pain.  They came up with a plan to give her a shot to ease the pain immediately, and then gave us anti-inflammatory and pain meds.  She also needed to be kept in her kennel for 7-10 days.

*Ahem*  Mama, can't tell this next part entirely accurately, so I will.  I may as well type since I'm trapped in my kennel. Whatever you say, Nellie.  Go for it.  Good luck without thumbs!
First of all, let me just say that whatever was in that shot at the vet, was some good stuff.  It made me so sleepy Friday night that I just couldn't keep my eyes open when we got home. Which was good since we didn't have power anyway.  I also felt pretty good on Saturday because of all the meds Mama and Daddy gave me.  Let me tell you one thing, though.  I was eating my breakfast and noticed something that smelled funny in my bowl... so I ate around it.  When I finished, I realized the two pieces of "food" in my bowl weren't really food!  Those amateurs tried to trick me into just eating my pills!  After that, they gave them to me on cheese, just how I like it.  I even had a chewable one that I ate by itself for 2 days, but once I noticed the other one came with cheese, that's how I decided I wanted the chewable one to be delivered too.  My parents are so ridiculous.  I do also like the service of being carried up and down the stairs every time I have to go potty.  I have to keep my leash on even in our yard though, and I can't even tell you how embarassing that is.  I was feeling so much better, that Mama and Daddy let me walk around the house until I jumped on the couch.  I always do that, but this time they kept saying, "No, Nellie!  That will hurt you!"  Then it was back in the kennel. 

The whole week I was counting down the days until I was out of my kennel for good, but then on Saturday night after my Aunt Suzanne's graduation (May 17-which Mama will tell about soon) I hurt myself all over again.  I was shaking like crazy and panting, so Mama and Daddy had to take me back to the Pet Emergency room.  Mama didn't cry as much this trip, because she told me she knew what was going on.  This time they put me under this big machine after giving me more drugs (Yay! Drugs!), but even though I was sleepy I didn't want to get my "picture taken!"  Mama knows I hate posing!  The vet told Mama and Daddy that these "x-rays" looked good and it didn't look like I needed surgery, but I really was going to have to stay in my kennel all. the. time. for the next 14 days.  I'm only allowed to get out to eat and go potty.  Thank goodness my prednisone makes me go pee-pee more so I can get out!   

Can I cut back in, Nellie?  You need to take a nap anyway! Sure Mama, take it away.

So, that brings us to today, May 22.  Last night Nellie started panting again, but not shaking much, so we gave her her pain meds and muscle relaxer, but not her prednisone, because it was supposed to step down to once a day.  I figured that was why her pain was bad, but checked with the Pet ER to make sure I could give it to her.  I finall got her to sleep and comfy by 1:00 a.m. and then fell asleep myself.  I felt terrible to have to miss school, but have got to get her to our vet today.  Pray that we can make sure she is on the road to recovery!!!  

Also, if you've been wondering why I've been absent from blogging for the last two weeks, here's your answer!  ; )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day and the Quickest Weekend Ever

Valentine's morning I treated myself to a heart-shaped chicken biscuit from Chick-fil-a.  They were BOGO free AND I got a survey for a free chicken sandwich.  That in and of itself made my day! : )                                                       Friday evening Zach and I tried to go out for Valentine's Day.  We thought we were early enough to beat the rush, but it turned out we weren't.   We ended up going back home with a quick stop through Donut Bank to get dessert and then we had a DiGiorno pizza and watched the Olympics.  Can you feel the romance? Haha.                                                                                                     Yummy Whoopie Pie!                                                                                          My Valentine! Saturday morning began gloriously at 9:20 a.m. It seems like it's been forever since I slept that late, but it was wonderful!  I met my friend, Jennifer, and he

Christmas Eve

Our Christmas festivities started with Zach's family on Christmas Eve!  We opened presents and ate!  I'll let the pictures do most of the talking!  As you can see, Christmas is so more magical when there are little ones to spoil! : ) Mrs. Claus house shoes from Nana and Poppy!  Mmmmm, paper!  We got Zach's dad a long magnet on wheels.  We hope he liked it!! Haha, it was one of those gifts that was more of a necessity I think!  She was excited!  We are glad she liked it!  We got Zach's mom a record player that is a 5-in-1 system!  Isaiah's sweater we got him!  Its pockets are in the shape of monkey hands too, so I couldn't resist how cute it was!  He is a cute little monkey too!  Book set from us!  Love If You Give A Mouse.... series!  He is saying. "Ohhh, paper!  I love that!"  Make-up set from us!  He looooved the paper!  Isaiah opening his Leap Frog laptop from us!  He lik

Turns out...

Third grade is not bad at all! The kids are still pretty sweet and are so excited for me to be there and I am excited too! I think it will be fun to see all that they can do and have fun with them. Yesterday I received 5 notes on my desk about how excited that I was there and about how much fun we were going to have. I think they are right! Hopefully I get the hang of them quickly, because I start teaching Science (Mon and Wed), Social Studies(Tues and Thur), and PE (Fri) next week!