Skip to main content

No-spend February

I have always been a "saver" of money, practically since I started receiving it for birthdays and especially since earning it.  I nearly cried when I paid $211 dollars cash for my iPod nano when I was 16. True fact!  So a long time ago I heard of a "Dave Ramsey" type idea of a no-spend month where in your household you pay your bills and buy groceries, and no extras for one month.  Then see how much you save.  Before the new year Zach and I were thinking about plans for this next year and things we're planning on saving for, so this idea appealed to the both of us!  Next came the decision of what month to pick for our month.  We knew December was out, for obvious reasons and we felt we needed more time to prepare than January, so February it was... also, who else would admit we're smart for doing this during the shortest month of the year? ; )  Yes, we thought of that as well.

We did decide our own guidelines that fit our family.
1. Pay our bills.  They consist of:
  • House payment
  • Utilities- gas and electric
  • Water bill
  • Car insurance (2 times/yr)
  • Cable TV/ internet
2. Groceries
  • We've really never kept tabs on our groceries, but I would guess we spend around $150-$200/ month.  
  • One thing that we never have to buy is red meat.  We hunt, so we have an abundance of deer meat, which we use in all our meat dishes. 
3. Gasoline
  • First of all, I DON'T want to think about how much we spend on this each month, but I'd say at least $200.  That probably won't get cut down any this month because we both have long distances to drive for work and school!  
3. What we can't do this month
  • No eating out, of any kind.  No sit-down, no take-out, no stopping at Donut Bank for a cookie on my way home! (That's probably the biggest travesty of them all!)  
  • No buying anything but groceries at the store! No movies, clothes, fun extras, or fun dollar aisle items at Target.  So really no shopping.  (Thank goodness NY and Company closed LAST month so I didn't have to fret over missing their store closing sale.)
4. Exceptions
  • Birthdays/Anniversary/Shower gifts- Don't worry, we're definitely not so chintzy that we wouldn't buy these gifts for those we care about it!   
  •  We have friends coming to town to spend the weekend with us, and seeing as it would be just rude to say, "Sorry, we can't go out to eat with y'all,"  we'll probably spring for one meal out during the month!  Although, I am sure we will cook one night!  Who doesn't love my cooking?
5. Plans for making this work
  • We are going to be cooking fiends.  I already spend a good time in the kitchen, but we usually eat out about 2 nights a week.  Our usual places are Qdoba, Pizza Hut, Buffalo Wild Wings, or Olive Garden/ Texas Roadhouse.
  • I am looking at the things we usually order when out and taking on the fun challenges of creating comparable things at home.  Homemade food almost always taste better anyway! 
  • Removing myself from the temptation- I am not going to set foot in the mall or any other store.  Even looking would be too tempting!  I am even considering not going to Target for groceries and just to Schnucks.  That way I don't see all the other store goods that I all too easily toss in the cart!  
6. Expected Benefits
  • Obviously to save a little money to cushion our saving account!
  • Almost a bigger part of my desire to do this is that we live in a "give me, give me" society where we just want more and more.  One thing I want to focus on more this month is being content with what I have and not being fixated on the next purchase I'm going to make.  We are indeed very blessed by the Lord and I do not ever want to be more intent on material items than people and service to others.  
I am going to try my very best to update at least a couple times a week as this progresses, along with our other daily happenings, so wish us luck!  Also, if any of you want to join in, it's not too late to do a partial no-spend month!  I'd love to hear what ya'll think of it!



Comments

  1. When I first started reading this I said to myself, "What about when we come up?" lol but then I read on :) Jacob and I are doing a Dave Ramsey Finacial Peace thing and are on a budget, we can help you guys out and share what we do if you want when we come down.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentine's Day and the Quickest Weekend Ever

Valentine's morning I treated myself to a heart-shaped chicken biscuit from Chick-fil-a.  They were BOGO free AND I got a survey for a free chicken sandwich.  That in and of itself made my day! : )                                                       Friday evening Zach and I tried to go out for Valentine's Day.  We thought we were early enough to beat the rush, but it turned out we weren't.   We ended up going back home with a quick stop through Donut Bank to get dessert and then we had a DiGiorno pizza and watched the Olympics.  Can you feel the romance? Haha.                                                                                                     Yummy Whoopie Pie!                                                                                          My Valentine! Saturday morning began gloriously at 9:20 a.m. It seems like it's been forever since I slept that late, but it was wonderful!  I met my friend, Jennifer, and he

Christmas Eve

Our Christmas festivities started with Zach's family on Christmas Eve!  We opened presents and ate!  I'll let the pictures do most of the talking!  As you can see, Christmas is so more magical when there are little ones to spoil! : ) Mrs. Claus house shoes from Nana and Poppy!  Mmmmm, paper!  We got Zach's dad a long magnet on wheels.  We hope he liked it!! Haha, it was one of those gifts that was more of a necessity I think!  She was excited!  We are glad she liked it!  We got Zach's mom a record player that is a 5-in-1 system!  Isaiah's sweater we got him!  Its pockets are in the shape of monkey hands too, so I couldn't resist how cute it was!  He is a cute little monkey too!  Book set from us!  Love If You Give A Mouse.... series!  He is saying. "Ohhh, paper!  I love that!"  Make-up set from us!  He looooved the paper!  Isaiah opening his Leap Frog laptop from us!  He lik

Turns out...

Third grade is not bad at all! The kids are still pretty sweet and are so excited for me to be there and I am excited too! I think it will be fun to see all that they can do and have fun with them. Yesterday I received 5 notes on my desk about how excited that I was there and about how much fun we were going to have. I think they are right! Hopefully I get the hang of them quickly, because I start teaching Science (Mon and Wed), Social Studies(Tues and Thur), and PE (Fri) next week!